If you become aware of any crimes that have not been reported to the Department of Security, please complete a Campus Security Authority report. Completing the web based form will take only a few minutes and your assistance will support the university in maintaining compliance with this federal law. If you have any questions regarding reporting obligations, please contact the Department of Security at 321-674-8112.
Campus Security Authority Checklist
Has the incident been reported to the Local Police and the Department of Security?
- Yes – No CSA report is required; refer student, faculty, or staff to appropriate services if necessary.
- No – Continue to Step 2.
Does the incident fall under one of the required crime reporting areas of Clery?
- Yes – it falls under: homicide, manslaughter, robbery, sex offense, arson, aggravated assault, burglary, motor vehicle theft, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, weapon violation, drug violation, or liquor law violation.
- Was it a hate or biased based crime? Continue to Step 3
- No – No CSA report is required, refer student, faculty, or staff to appropriate services if necessary.
Where did the incident take place?
- On-campus, building or property – Continue to Step 4.
- Non-campus, public property adjacent to campus – Continue to Step 4.
- Off-campus, no affiliation w/ Florida Tech property, not adjacent to campus – No CSA report is required, refer student, faculty or staff to appropriate services if necessary.
Document as much information as possible regarding the incident. If you are unsure if the incident meets Clery requirements, always report it.
Refer student, faculty or staff to appropriate services if necessary. Disclose to the student that you are a Campus Security Authority (see disclosure statement).
Sample CSA statement:
As part of my position on campus, I am a federally mandated campus security authority for the college. I am required to report non-personally identifiable details of this incident to college officials for data gathering. Your name, the names of others involved, and any details that could identify you or others will not be included in the report. My report will contain only the information you provide. Do you have any questions? Would you like to see a copy of the report and help me fill it out?