Math Placement Exams
If you are admitted to Florida Tech as a STEM major, you MUST take the Math Placement Exam to register a math course required for your major.
Students who ARE EXEMPT from placement test, but could not transfer Precalculus, Calculus 1-3, or Differential Equations credits, are strongly encouraged to take the Advanced Math Placement Exam given during the orientation week. Questions regarding the eligibility requirements for an Advanced Math Placement Exam, contact Dr. Gnana Bhaskar Tenali (email@example.com), Head of the Department of Mathematical Sciences.
See below for more information on Math Placement Exams and supplementary material to properly prepare for these tests.
What math courses are required for my major?
Click on your college link to find out what math courses are required for your major:
- College of Aeronautics
- Nathan M. Bisk College of Business
- College of Psychology and Liberal Arts
- College of Engineering and Science - Aerospace, Physics &Space Sciences
- College of Engineering and Science - Biomedical &Chemical Engineering & Sciences
- College of Engineering and Sciences - Computer Engineering & Sciences
- College of Engineering and Science - Mechanical and Civil Engineering
- College of Engineering and Science - Ocean Engineering & Marine Sciences
Math Placement Exam
Math Placement Exam is for majors requiring Calculus I as the entry level math course. Students are given two practice tests prior to taking the Math Placement Test. The test is computer-based and requires secure and strong internet connection.
The practice test and the actual placement exam are accessible via the Admitted Student Portal. If you experience any issues with accessing the test, please email Dr. William Girton (wgirton@fitedu).
Students are strongly encouraged to review the topics included in the syllabus below and complete the Math Placement Exam upon their admission to Florida Tech.
Those who do not complete the Math Placement Exam will be placed into a section of Precalculus until they complete their Math Placement Exam requirement.
Syllabus for Technical Math Placement Exam
- linear equations and inequalities,
- absolute value inequalities,
- systems of linear equations of two variables,
- exponents and polynomials,
- rational expressions,
- quadratic equations,
- exponential functions,
- polynomial functions,
- graphs of functions,
- areas and volumes,
- angles in degrees and radians,
- trigonometric functions,
- trigonometric identities, and
- inverse trigonometric functions.
How to Prepare for the Math Placement Exam
Math is cumulative and process driven, where skills build upon one another. In order to understand the higher level math concepts, students must master Algebra skills.
Review of the material and practicing before taking a math placement exam are essential to get a sense of your strengths and/or identify lack of knowledge and skills.
External Resources for Math Placement Exam review
- IXL - https://www.ixl.com/math/algebra-1
- Algebra2Go - https://www.saddleback.edu/faculty/lperez/algebra2go/begalgebra/index.html
- Khan Academy - https://www.khanacademy.org/
- The World of Math Online - http://www.math.com/
- WolframAlpha - https://www.wolframalpha.com/
- Cool Math - https://www.coolmath.com/
Advanced Math Placement Exam
Students are given an opportunity to take the advanced standing exams to be placed out of Precalculus, Calculus 1, Calculus 2, Calculus 3, and Differential Equations. The tests are computerized and proctored remotely.
All students interested in taking the Advanced Math Placement Exam are recommended to send an email to Dr. Gnana Bhaskar Tenali (firstname.lastname@example.org), Department Head of Mathematical Sciences, to learn about the eligibility requirements.
Students are strongly encouraged to review the below exam materials, including the list of topics, sample exams, and sample exams with solutions for the Advance Math Placement test before taking the respective test.
Students who earn a minimum score of 80 out of 100 will be granted transfer credits for the respective Florida Tech course and will be placed into the next level math course required by their major.
Precalculus Advanced Placement Exam
- Precalculus Syllabus
- Precalculus Sample Advanced Placement Test
- Precalculus Sample Advanced Placement Test with Solutions
Calculus 1 Advanced Placement Exam
- Calculus 1 Syllabus
- Calculus 1 Sample Advanced Placement Test
- Calculus 1 Sample Advanced Placement Test with Solutions
Calculus 2 Advanced Placement Exam
- Calculus 2 Syllabus
- Calculus 2 Sample Advanced Placement Test
- Calculus 2 Sample Advanced Placement Test with Solutions
Calculus 3 Advanced Placement Exam
- Calculus 3 Syllabus
- Calculus 3 Sample Advanced Placement Test
- Calculus 3 Sample Advanced Placement Test with Solutions