What Is A B.A. In Psychology Degree?
The psychology degree program at Florida Tech offers in-depth preparation for work in clinical psychology, social work, organizational management and social-cultural law. Unique electives allow you to develop career-track concentrations in a variety of subfields.
Florida Tech gives students the ability to pursue either a B.A. or B.S. degree in psychology. Students tailor their education to their area of interest. The Bachelor of Arts degree is designed for those students interested primarily in the social sciences and humanities. With a foundation in liberal arts, courses facilitate concentrations in human and animal behaviors.
- Animal Behavior: Courses in both biological sciences and behavior analysis emphasize biological bases of behavior and species-typical learning as well as standard principles of training that cross species lines. Most animal behavior psychology degree students also add a minor in biology. The culmination of the program is an internship within a facility or institution that emphasizes animal training, husbandry or public education.
- Clinical Psychology: The clinical/counseling concentration psychology degree exposes students to courses and field placements that emphasize the assessment and treatment of mental and emotional disorders. Such areas of study include substance abuse, abnormal psychology, clinical psychology, professional ethics and assessment techniques.
- Industrial/Organizational Psychology: This degree prepares students to enter business directly after graduation, in industrial/organizational psychology, business law, management, human resource management, organizational behavior and substance abuse. Students who choose this concentration for their psychology degree are encouraged to add a minor in business administration.
- Social/Cultural Psychology: This psychology degree brings together psychology and social sciences, exploring sociology, anthropology, economics and political science to provide a complete understanding of the human condition. A psychologist with a postgraduate degree might choose international consulting, academia, government, training, research or even law school – particularly if a student is interested in law firms concentrating on multinational corporations, government or international business.
Gain Practical Experience
Florida Tech's low student-to-faculty ratio encourages close collaboration and mentorship as well as individual creativity and leadership. Because the school of psychology faculty perform applied research outside of their teaching responsibilities, students have an opportunity to participate in ongoing research projects.
The School of Psychology also operates a variety of clinics and consulting programs, including:
- Family Learning Program
- East Central Florida Memory Clinic
- Community Psychological Services
- Center for Organizational Effectiveness
- Institute for Cross Cultural Management
As seniors, students engage in a scholarly inquiry project, for which they complete an intensive field internship experience and conduct a substantial research study on a topic of their choosing. As a result, psychology degree students get practical experience, an enhanced job search portfolio and the perfect preparation for finding a job or going to graduate school.
Build Professional Relationships
Beyond the classroom, psychology majors build leadership experience through exciting internships and participation in academic organizations like Psi Chi (psychology honor society), the Undergraduate Psychology Student Association, student government and over 100 other student organizations.
Get Recruited Upon Graduation
Employers that have recruited Florida Tech students for internships and careers include, Children's Home Society, Circles of Care, EPCOT, Space Coast Early Intervention Center and more.
Earn an Advanced Degree
After receiving their psychology degree, many students go to graduate school at Florida Tech and other prestigious universities, including New York University and Vanderbilt.
“Why Pursue A B.A. In Psychology At Florida Tech? ”
You already know we have your major.
Now learn everything else you want to know!
Keep it simple.
Get the facts about graduate studies at Florida Tech
You have two graduate study opportunities:
You have three graduate study opportunities:
You have two graduate study opportunities:
Psychology graduates are well prepared to enter the field as working professionals or to pursue graduate school. Florida Tech is the perfect college for psychology due to the family-oriented and close-knit academic environment enabling students to work closely with professors and fellow students.
Florida Tech's faculty is a mix of full-time and adjunct visiting professors that are dedicated to research, teaching and student success. The undergraduate faculty represents the various disciplines within the field of psychology. Each student has a faculty advisor who assists with selecting courses in addition to mentoring and offering guidance for career and/or graduate school opportunities.
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Many School of Psychology professors perform applied research outside of their teaching responsibilities working in settings such as clinical treatment or organizational consulting. Qualified students are encouraged to participate in faculty-led research. These unique opportunities give students ways to enhance their learning making Florida Tech a great college for psychology.
Facilities & Resources
When choosing a college for psychology, students consider the tools needed to succeed. At Florida Tech students have access to the Florida Tech Commons, a building that houses the School of Psychology, classrooms, human research areas, observation and treatment rooms, computer facilities, two conference rooms and a student workroom/lounge. Some students also choose to study in the Evans Library where the Applied Computing Center is located, or seek free tutoring offered by the Academic Support Center.
Great Florida Location
In terms of location, the average college for psychology can't beat Florida Tech's location. The 130-acre campus is located on the Space Coast, an area within the fifth largest high-tech workforce in the country with more than 5,000 high-tech corporations and government and military organizations. This workforce provides a variety of internship and employment opportunities.
Atlantic Ocean beaches are only a short drive away, as well as Central Florida attractions such as the NASA Kennedy Space Center, Cape Canaveral and Walt Disney World Resort. Florida Tech has a rich campus life that includes intramural and collegiate sports, clubs and social activities. As far as a college for psychology goes, Florida Tech is the perfect choice.
“How Will A B.A. In Psychology Prepare Me For The Future? ”
Beyond the classroom, psychology internships are available to students at a variety of businesses and non-profit groups, including:
- Children's Home Society
- Space Coast Early Intervention Center
- The Family Learning Program
- East Central Florida Memory Disorder Clinic
These psychology internships allow for studies of treatment options, the course of treatment and the prognosis of various afflictions patients have that our students may encounter in graduate school and their future careers.
As students progress in their degree and career-track concentrations, they take part in specialized psychology internships that cater to their future goals, including opportunities to work with prestigious organizations.
Students interested in the study of animal learning and behavior can also obtain psychology internships with organizations such as the Brevard Zoo, SeaWorld, Dolphin Quest Oahu and many more, earning real-world experience and forging potential career connections.
After completing research methods coursework, select students may also receive invitations to work with faculty-led research teams studying a variety of topics and issues within the field of psychology including autism and Alzheimer's research, animal training, gender studies, emotional wellness and criminal behavior.
Many psychology internships also serve as research opportunities, allowing participants to collect data relevant to their area of study through their work experience. This data can then be used to create a formal research project to be presented at a university-wide research colloquium.
Florida Tech is home to a chapter of the Psi Chi International Honor Society in Psychology. Psi Chi is an active student organization that participates in community service and other campus-wide events.
Active Minds is another organization that focuses on psychology and mental health. As members of Active Minds, students have an opportunity to take part in planning events and seminars that utilize the student voice to change perceptions of mental health on college campuses.
“What Can You Do With A B.A. In Psychology? ”
Careers in clinical psychology involve helping people deal with problems. Clinical psychologists assess, diagnose and treat mental, emotional and behavioral disorders from short-term personal issues to severe, chronic conditions.
Although strategies generally differ by specialty, psychologists often interview patients, give diagnostic tests and provide individual, family, or group psychotherapy. Psychologists also design behavior modification programs and help patients implement their program.
The Occupational Outlook Handbook, published by the United States Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), provides detailed information about hundreds of careers, entry-level education, overall working environment and employment prospects.
Careers in clinical psychology are expected to increase as people continue to turn to psychologists to help solve or manage their problems. Psychologists also help other special groups, such as the elderly, veterans suffering from war trauma and individuals with Autism. Job prospects are best for those who have a doctoral degree in an applied specialty. Check the handbook about careers in clinical psychology to learn more.
Careers in clinical psychology can involve focus on certain populations and involve specialties such as:
- Health psychologists – study how psychological factors affect health and illness.
- Counseling psychologists – advise people on how to deal with their problems in the home, workplace or community.
- Developmental psychologists – analyze the psychological progress and development that takes place throughout life (i.e. children and adolescents, or aging and the elderly).
- Industrial-organizational psychologists – apply psychology to solve issues and improve the quality of life in the workplace such as workplace productivity, management of employee working styles, morale, policy planning, etc.
- School psychologists – address education-related issues such as learning and behavioral problems, student performance and teaching improvements, etc.
- Social psychologists – study how people's mindsets and behavior are shaped by social interactions.
There are many more careers in clinical psychology and specific areas to apply training in psychology.
- Market Research Analyst
- Mental Health Counselor
- Social Worker
- School Counselor
- Substance Abuse Counselor
Florida Tech graduates enter careers in clinical psychology immediately upon graduation or after continuing studies in graduate programs in counseling, social, clinical or forensic psychology, even law or medicine, at such prestigious institutions as:
- University of Central Florida
- Boston College
- Colorado State University
- Boston University
- Florida State University
- Howard University
- University of Maryland
- University of Miami