Holzer Health Center
Support and Resources for LGBT+ Students, Staff and Faculty
The Health Center at Florida Tech treats all students with dignity and respect while providing competent and responsive care. We work toward creating and maintaining a safe, inclusive, and equitable environment for all to eliminate health disparities. We can provide education, information, support, and advocacy services for our campus community of LGBT+ students, staff and faculty. The Health Center is just one part of the support services at Florida Tech whose aim is to promote a strong community that is inclusive, respectful, and values the diverse perspectives of all groups. We are committed to promote equality and respect for all people regardless of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, age, veteran status, political beliefs or disability. We strive to promote emotional wellness in a safe, friendly environment for all.
Looking for a Gender-Neutral Restroom?
Please see the attached list of all the gender-neutral public restrooms available at Florida Tech!
Official Protections of LGBTQ+ Students, Staff, and Faculty
Sexual orientation and gender identity are both protected under Bias-Related Incidents and Hate Crimes of the Student Handbook.
On-Campus LGBTQ+ Health Resources
Holzer Health Center
The Health Center offers services for sexual health needs including pelvic exams, pap smears, STD counseling, screening and treatment. For more information, see our Sexually Transmitted Diseases Testing page.
CAPS (Counseling And Psychological Services Center)
Florida Tech offers mental health counseling for registered students at the student counseling center. The center can help students learn how to work through life’s challenges, heal emotional pain, and develop the necessary skills to lead healthy and balanced lives. This is accomplished in a supportive environment in which students can talk openly with a professional who is objective, neutral, and non-judgmental.
Off-Campus LGBTQ+ Health Providers
UCF Health Services
On-Campus Support Groups
Spectrum is Florida Tech's LGBTQ+ advocacy and social student organization. For more information on their events and weekly meetings, join them on Panther Prowl, and follow them on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram at @FLTechSpectrum.
Off-Campus Support Groups
LGBTQ+ Specific Groups
Information on PFLAG, LGBT Coffee Socials, Rainbow Youth, and Transgender Network which meet in Melbourne can be found on the Space Coast Pride website.
LGBTQ+ Accepting Groups
Information on LifeRing Secular Recovery and multiple LGBTQ+ Friendly Alcoholics Anonymous can be found on the Space Coast Pride website.
Unitarian Universalist Church of Brevard
- Sunday Morning Services at 11:00 a.m. at 2185 Meadowlane Ave, West Melbourne, FL 32904
- Website: uubrevard.us, Email: email@example.com, Phone: 321-345-5246
- “The Unitarian Universalist Church of Brevard is a Welcoming Congregation! The UUA Office of Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian and Transgender Concerns received their application in early May and now recognizes UUCB as an official Welcoming Congregation.”
Riviera United Church of Christ
- Services at 451 Riviera Drive NE, Palm Bay, Florida 32905
- Phone: 321-723-3963
- “Riviera United Church of Christ is a Christ-centered church, open to all manner of God's people. Whether red, yellow, black or white; young, middle-age or old; handicapped or able-bodied; gay, bisexual, transgender or straight, you are welcomed and honored here just as you are - a beloved child of God's.”
Other Helpful Organizations & Websites
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: http://www.cdc.gov/lgbthealth
- Go here to learn about health issues that affect LGBT people, as well as recommended sexual health services.
- Gay and Lesbian Medical Association: http://www.glma.org
- This site can help LGBT individuals find a health care provider they can trust and understand the important health topics they should discuss with their provider.
- The Trevor Lifeline: www.thetrevorproject.org
- 1-866-4-U-TREVOR (866-488-7386) (available 24 hours a day)
- Don’t have access to a phone or not in a location where you can talk (or are hearing impaired), The Trevor chatline is also available at www.thetrevorproject.org.
- Are you going through a difficult time? Feeling confused, lonely or blue? If you’re a young person looking for someone to listen and understand without judgment or if you’re feeling suicidal about issues related to sexual orientation and gender expression, the Trevor Lifeline is here to help.
- GLBT National Help Center: http://www.glnh.org
- Gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people of all ages can call the national hotline (1-888-843-4564) to access peer counseling, information, and local resources. A youth hotline is also available (1-888-246-7743).
- The Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network: http://www.glsen.org
- Learn how to help schools become safer and more respectful for all, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
- Trans Student Educational Resources (TSER): http://www.transstudent.org/
- Trans Student Educational Resources is your organization for contacting schools, getting information, and taking action! We supply trans resources and provide support for creating change in your school and beyond
- TSER has many helpful and easy to understand infographics such as the following: