How to Request To Study At Another Institution

This policy is for Melbourne campus undergraduate students only. Florida Tech Online undergraduate students should contact for the complete policy for online students.

Before beginning study at another institution, Melbourne campus undergraduate students must obtain verification of transferability from the Office of the Registrar before getting approval from their academic department.

  1. Students requesting to study at another institution must meet all catalog policies covering transfer credits and residency requirements.
  2. Once becoming a Florida Tech student, a maximum of three courses can be taken at another institution and applied toward any one degree.
  3. Florida Tech’s Forgiveness Policy is not applicable to transfer credits. Courses failed at Florida Tech may be retaken at another institution for transfer credit to meet a program requirement but not to remove the grade from the Florida Tech GPA.
  4. Requests to take courses for which prerequisites or corequisites have not been met must be submitted with an approved Co-Prerequisite Waiver Request form.
  5. Financial aid recipients may wish to consult the Office of Financial Aid before requesting to study at another institution.
  6. International students require a signature from the Office of International Student and Scholar Services before submitting an  form.
  7. Sponsored international students require written sponsorship approval sent directly to the Office of the Registrar.

After following the steps above, the student must bring the completed Request to Study at Another Institution form to his or her faculty advisor to determine that the requested course is applicable to the degree program.

If the requested course does not have an established Florida Tech equivalency, the student is to submit the course syllabus to the registrar's office to obtain a Florida Tech equivalency.

Melbourne campus students who request to study at another institution for a summer term will be directed to take the course online if the course is offered through Florida Tech Online during Summer-1 or Summer-2 terms (students pay Florida Tech Online rates and no other discounts apply). International students on the Melbourne campus should contact ISSS and their sponsors for special exceptions to the policy.

The form is returned to the student who then obtains any additional needed information and forwards to his or her faculty advisor and department head for signatures. The student will submit the completed request form to the registrar’s office for processing. On completion of the approved course, it is the student’s responsibility to request that an official transcript is mailed from the approved institution directly to the registrar’s office.

A request for an exception to this policy must be submitted with written justification from the student and written endorsement by the faculty advisor, department head and associate dean.